Humidity is part of our summers in Austin, TX. While your air conditioner removes humidity along with the heat, it may have trouble removing all of it, particularly during long stretches of very humid weather. Humidity holds heat, which is why the temperature feels so much more uncomfortable when the humidity is high. The more humid it is outside, the harder your air conditioning system in Austin has to work to make it feel cool and dry inside. Room dehumidifiers may be able to help somewhat with excess humidity, but for truly effective help, you may want to consider the installation of a whole-home dehumidifier, like the ones we have at Intelligent Air Services.
How Does Humidity Adversely Affect an Air Conditioner?
As we state above, humidity forces your air conditioner to work harder in order to achieve the set temperature. This is because it has to remove more heat and humidity during very humid days. Other problems that can occur are:
- Sticking debris
- Higher energy bills
- More wear-and-tear on your system
Signs of Too Much Humidity
- Condensation on windows
- Damp/musty odor in your home
- Inside feels cool but clammy
What Are the Benefits of a Whole-Home Dehumidifier?
- Better health – humidity promotes the growth of mold, mildew and dust mites, and pollen clings easily to the moisture in the air, which can cause problems for the allergy sufferers in your home. Removing this excess humidity curbs these air pollutants.
- Better energy efficiency – as we touched on above, more humidity means more work for your air conditioner. A whole-home dehumidifier removes the excess moisture that can cause your AC to use more power.
- Better comfort – a whole-home humidifier helps to ensure that the air in your home is cool and dry, maximizing the comfort level throughout.
Maximize Your Comfort and Help Your AC with a Dehumidifier
While you can’t control the humidity outside, you can control it inside your home with the help of a dehumidifier. Call Intelligent Air Services today and schedule AC service in Austin, TX with one of our experts to see how a whole-home dehumidifier can help with your air conditioning.