Signs You Have a Leaky Duct System
Most homes in the Georgetown, TX area use centralized furnaces and air conditioners, which rely on a series of ducts to carry the conditioned air through the home. They’re normally located in crawlspaces or other hidden locations, which helps keep them safe from damage.
Even so, leaks and even breaches can occasionally spring up, especially in older systems which have been in use for a while. Leaks are problematic because they force your heater to work harder in order to do the job: raising both your monthly costs and the wear and tear on the system itself. But how can you spot the leaks if they’re located in hidden spots? There are a few telltale signs that can help you out.
- Warm spots on the walls or floor, where the hot air leaking out of the system is blowing. (If the leak occurs in the summer, when the air conditioner is running, it will be a cold spot.)
- Odd noises, like whistles or hums, coming from the spot where the breach is located. That’s air escaping out of the system. The noise will usually start and stop in sync with your heater.
- Low air flow, caused by the air slipping out of the leak or breach.
- Cooler air than expected, created when unconditioned air gets pulled into the system through the leak or breach.
- Higher bills, reflecting the loss of efficiency which the leak or breach is creating.
If the issue isn’t addressed, the strain on the system will increase, and could eventually result in a much more serious breakdown somewhere along the line. The good news is that a trained technician can pinpoint the source of the leak or breach and conduct proper repairs.
If you think your ducts are leaking, shut off the system and call the professionals at Intelligent Air Services today!